Kansas City, MO: Several people were reportedly sickened Friday morning after a package smelling of ammonia was opened inside the IRS building near Union Station.

Kansas City firefighters were called to the building in the 300 block of West Pershing Road about 9:45 a.m. Friday.

Officials said about 10 people were treated for symptoms such as nausea and vomiting.

James Garrett, a spokesman for the Kansas City Fire Department, told The New York Times that employees complained of nausea, diarrhea and vomiting.

Lucy Martinez, a spokeswoman for the federal Department of Homeland Security, said seven people were hospitalized but were later released.

Garrett said the injuries were believed to be “not serious at all.” He said he did not know what was inside the package, and that the package’s contents and the sender’s intent would be the subject of a separate federal investigation.

BY TONY RIZZO AND TORIANO PORTER

Share More: http://www.kansascity.com/news/local/crime/article165438997.html